david coombe history

 

Online Availability Check


This page checks the availability of external online image and map services used in this project.

Plan of the City of Adelaide (Penman, 1849)

Availability: Available online
Status: Pending metadata
This map is somewhat imprecise but is useful for identifying contemporary buildings and landmarks. References from this map are used as pins in my map: S.T. Gill - Adelaide.

Open map in full screen 


Bullock dray being driven with a load of water-melons | SLV H3486

Thumbnail image for SLV H3486 Loaded dray going through the bush | State Library of Victoria H3486  
Date: 1844/1845
Two Aboriginal people - probably an adult and a child - stand in the foreground while a colonist drives a bullock dray loaded with watermelons.

"The luxury of the South Australian water-melon, must be enjoyed to be thoroughly appreciated, no description can do justice to it. All fruits are growing in the open air; the trees as standards, and the melon is now grown in fields: you see drays, drawn by two and four bullocks, coming into town early of a morning, with the melons piled up like the loads of cabbages sent to Covent Garden market. They are grown of immense size, 15 and 18 lbs. being quite common, which, during the season, would sell for 6d. each." (Dutton 1846, p. 229)

081


Sturt's Overland Expedition leaving Adelaide, August 10th, 1844 | AGSA 0.1128

Thumbnail image for AGSA 0.1128Sturt's Overland Expedition leaving Adelaide, August 10th, 1844 | Art Gallery of South Australia 0.1128 
Date: 1844-08/1845-06
The scene is the departure from Adelaide of Charles Sturt's Great Northern Expedition on 10 August 1844.

The cavalcade is proceeding from Grenfell Street at the right of picture and turning into and continuing north along King William Street. The view is northeast, looking from a vacant block (acre 140) diagonally across the intersection to Montefiore's store (acre 108), behind and to the right of which are the South Australian Company buldings on Rundle Street (acre 44).

There are three known versions of this scene by Gill. The narrowest of the views is wash drawing NLA R113. NGA 2012.1307 is a bit wider and includes Montefiore's residence at far right. AGSA 0.1128 is the most panoramic of the views and further includes at far right the (back of) the Wesleyan Chapel in Gawler Place (acre 106).

Unlike AGSA 0.644, this scene predates King William Street premises of surgeon dentist Robert Norman (acre 79) built between April and July 1845.

Gill misspelt when he signed this "STG ADELADE".

019


Sturt's overland expedition leaving Adelaide 1844 | NGA 2012.1307

Thumbnail image for NGA 2012.1307Sturt's overland expedition leaving Adelaide 1844 | National Gallery of Australia 2012.1307 
Date: 1844-08/1845-06
The scene is the departure from Adelaide of Charles Sturt's Great Northern Expedition on 10 August 1844.

The cavalcade is proceeding from Grenfell Street at the right of picture and turning into and continuing north along King William Street. The view is northeast, looking from a vacant block (acre 140) diagonally across the intersection to Montefiore's store (acre 108), behind and to the right of which are the South Australian Company buldings on Rundle Street (acre 44).

Noticably absent from this picture are Gill's street dogs.

There are three known versions of this scene by Gill. The narrowest of the views is wash drawing NLA R113. NGA 2012.1307 is a bit wider and includes Montefiore's residence at far right. AGSA 0.1128 is the most panoramic of the views and further includes at far right the (back of) the Wesleyan Chapel in Gawler Place (acre 106).

This scene predates the King William Street premises (acre 79) of surgeon dentist Robert Norman built between April and July 1845.

This painting has excellent provenance from the family of George French Angas. It is very likely that Gill painted this for Angas who went on to show it in his April 1846 London exhibition as "144. Starting of Captain Sturt from Adelaide, on his Expedition into the Interior, in August 1844". Angas departed Adelaide for Sydney and London on 2 July 1845.

Given this provenance I think this painting was likely painted after Angas' return to Adelaide, but before completion of Norman's - around February to April 1845.

252


Sturt's Expedition | NLA R113

Thumbnail image for NLA R113Sturt's Expedition | National Library of Australia R113 
Date: 1844-08/1845-06
The scene is the departure from Adelaide of Charles Sturt's Great Northern Expedition on 10 August 1844.

The cavalcade is proceeding from Grenfell Street at the right of picture and turning into and continuing north along King William Street. The view is northeast, looking from a vacant block (acre 140) diagonally across the intersection to Montefiore's store (acre 108), behind and to the right of which are the South Australian Company buldings on Rundle Street (acre 44).

There are three known versions of this scene by Gill. The narrowest of the views is wash drawing NLA R113. NGA 2012.1307 is a bit wider and includes Montefiore's residence at far right. AGSA 0.1128 is the most panoramic of the views and further includes at far right the (back of) the Wesleyan Chapel in Gawler Place (acre 106).

Unlike AGSA 0.644, this scene predates King William Street premises (acre 79) of surgeon dentist Robert Norman built between April and July 1845.

Lecture / dissolving view: 3/4. Corresponding watercolour: several.

251


King William Street, Adelaide | SLNSW-M SSV*/Sp Coll/Gill/2

Thumbnail image for SLNSW-M SSV*/Sp Coll/Gill/2King William street, Adelaide, ca. 1845 / possibly by S.T Gill or E.L. Montefiore | Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales SSV*/Sp Coll/Gill/2 
Date: 1845-09~/1846-05~
This is a northeast view from Adelaide Acre 140 across to Acre 108 and Montefiore's buildings which were built between October 1843 and January 1844. Further is Acre 79 before reaching Beehive corner. This scene is a little later than the similar ones for Sturt's departure. It includes Norman's premises (completed July 1845) and an extra Montefiore building right on the very corner. Also changed is the two storey building to the left of Montefiore's which is George Dehane the printer, whose second story was being erected in April 1845. Acre 140 is still vacant, being bought by Bank of Australasia in April 1846 with excavations beginning in June. Thus the scene is dated to between July 1845 and May 1846.

Below the picture are pencil notes on the buildings and the initials ELM (twice). Gill's characteristic street dogs are missing from this street scene and the detail is not Gill's highest standard.

217


The Beehive, corner King William and Rundle Streets, Adelaide | SLSA B 60076

Thumbnail image for SLSA B 60076The Beehive, corner King William and Rundle Streets, Adelaide | State Library of South Australia B 60076 
Date: 1849-10/1849-12
The northeast corner of King William Street and Rundle Street (acre 46). Central in the picture is the newly launched "Bee Hive" drapery shop (acre 46) of Brewer and Robertson. The watercolour featuring an ornate scroll border by Gill.

Gill previously painted this site in 1845 when this building was the office of James Allen's "South Australian Register" newspaper.

Shop signs: Brewer and Robertson (The Bee Hive); along Rundle Street: Pearce, Tailor; Wigg; Selth; and along King William Street: Pace; Shadgett, saddler. A man plays a horn on the Port Adelaide spring cart which is about to depart - this is Paddy's cornet.

Brewer and Robertson (The Bee Hive) opened their drapery business in October 1849 but it only operated for seven months before they were taken over by J.V.B. Ryley (who retained the Beehive name). Gill dated this picture 1849, implying he painted it between October and December that year. It seems quite possible that this picture was commissioned orginally by Brewer and Robertson. It was displayed in the window of E.S. Wigg and Son in 1921.

E.S. Wigg, bookseller, binder, stationer, was here in Rundle Street at least from October 1849. R. M. Selth, Baker and Confectioner, operated here for years before selling out to James Jones around October 1850. John Henry Pace, watchmaker and jeweller, moved to King William-street in January 1849. Pace declared insolvency on 5 December. Newspapers indicate George Shadgett, saddler and harness maker, was in Rundle Street corner of Gawler Place, rather than King William Street.

183


[Extinct Crater Northward from a Sketch by Captain Frome] | AGNSW 214.1975

Thumbnail image for AGNSW 214.1975Landscape with crater and cone | Art Gallery of New South Wales 214.1975 
Date: 1856/1880
Based on pencil sketch AGSA 697HP8. Gill based this not on Frome's watercolour, but James Henderson's sketch (SLSA B 2434/17, workID 438).

262


The Flinders Range | NGV 2004.288

Thumbnail image for NGV 2004.288The Flinders Range | National Gallery of Victoria 2004.288 
Date:
This Flinders Ranges scene is derived from Gill's Horrocks pictures but there are no Horrocks specific features. It is an idyllic scene of Aboriginal people and nature.

Similar to AGSA 20044P20 (298). Similar to SLNSW "Head of Spencer's Gulf from Flinder's Range"

433



David Coombe, May 2021 - 24 June 2021.

CITE THIS: David Coombe, 2021, Online Availability Check, accessed dd mmm yyyy, <http://coombe.id.au/S_T_Gill/Online_Availability_Check.htm>