david coombe history

 

S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views


SUMMARY: S.T. Gill produced simple postcard sized wash drawings, labelled on the back "Series of Adelaide Views", illustrating the built environment of Adelaide and the Port. They probably found a market as mementoes to be sent back to England – a likely modest income stream for the artist. Features one of Gill's earliest colonial pictures.

Article type: ANALYSIS & CATALOGUE


Numbered Series of Adelaide Views

There are 27 wash drawings by S.T. Gill, all about postcard size, each of which has on the back "S.o.A" or "S.o.A.V." and Roman numerals. They are in the collection of the National Library of Australia (NLA). The meaning of the initialism is unlocked by the note on the back of No. 1 – Trinity Church NK2038/21 – which reads: "S.eries O.f A.Adelaide Australian Views".

The pictures are numbered between 1 and 60, with many gaps but no duplicates. All the views are of Adelaide buildings (bar one of Port Adelaide); there are no rural or bush scenes. I think it's likely, but not certain, that Gill himself labelled the backs.

The pictures are on several types of paper, exhibit variations in caption and painting style and would have been painted over several years.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Gawler Place

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/08Front, Methodist Chapel, Gawler Place | National Library of Australia NK2038/08  One of the earliest in this series is the Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Gawler Place. The view is almost identical to a print that went on sale in December 1841.

Thumbnail image for SLSA B 4500Wesleyan Chapel, Gawler Place, Adelaide | State Library of South Australia B 4500  The print shows an iron fence at the front and side. Gill's picture has no front fence and a basic paling side fence – suggesting Gill's scene is earlier. In addition Gill's characters appear less animated than those of his later (1845) renown.

One of Gill's Earliest. This wash drawing may have been one of Gill's first efforts after establishing his studio in Gawler Place in March 1840. Perhaps Gill developed this series as early as 1840.

Understanding the Series

Is there any significance in the series numbering? No. 1 Trinity Church can be dated by the spire to after mid-1845, while No. 11 Methodist Chapel seems to be before 1842. Clearly the pictures are not in chronological order of painting.

The different papers, styles and dates are hints of this series' purpose. A reasonable explanation is that Gill made these sketches available for purchase and replaced sold ones as needed. As "the military place of worship", Trinity Church may have been very popular not only with locals, but also with posted regiments and Gill may have replaced it several times. Trinity Church was probably always No. 1 in the series and we only have a later version of it.

I think all the views date before July 1846 when Gill departed on Horrocks' expedition; this is based on both comparative style and Gill's artistic workload after then.

For Sale at Platts' Bookseller and Stationer

Straight after Gill left with Horrocks – for three consecutive weeks in August 1846 – the bookseller and stationer C.S. Platts advertised for sale "sketches of the colony by Gill".1 It would have been prudent for Gill to have some works on sale while he was away on that unfunded adventure. Perhaps Platts was selling Series of Adelaide Views.

A Puzzle: "EJ" Monogram

EJ monogram from reverse of NLA NK2038/18

Nine works in this series bear the monogram "EJ" on the reverse. The same monogram also appears on two sketches (that are not part of this series) of bush scenes dated 1845 by Gill. One of the latter is Australian warfare, native skirmish (NLA NK6897/D). The only two other Gill works on that subject were for E.J. Eyre and George Hamilton. This makes a circumstantial case that the "EJ" works were owned by Eyre. But Eyre left South Australia in December 1844 – before EJ's view of "rebuilt" Trinity Church. The monogram remains something of a puzzle.

Works: Catalogue and Map

To see the works, with accompanying notes, just scroll down or jump to the List of Works.

You can use the interactive map (below) to see the views as Gill saw them. (Click "Open map in full screen".)

Open map in full screen 


Footnotes

1. South Australian Gazette and Colonial Register, 8 August 1846: 1. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article195934035>


List of Works

You can scroll down to see all pictures along with detailed notes or click a link to jump to a specific work from the list.

Detailed notes each include a link to the map location for the view.

Dates in the descriptive text are generally in yyyy-mm-dd format and more specifically in Extended Date/Time Format (EDTF) .


Trinity Church, rebuilt, North Terrace, the military place of worship | NLA NK2038/21

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/21Trinity Church, rebuilt, North Terrace, the military place of worship | National Library of Australia NK2038/21 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845-08/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is Trinity Church (acre 9) (after it was rebuilt in mid-1845) and the parsonage (left). (It was originally built in 1838.) The view is to the southeast, with North Terrace to the left and Morphett Street away to the right. The rebuilding work was sufficiently complete for services to restart on 10 August 1845. (Adelaide Observer, 16 August 1845: 5. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article158920669>)

Reverse has "Trinity church & parsonage", "S.eries O.f A.Adelaide Australian Views (S.o.A.V)" and "No. 1", making this the key to unlocking the meaning of the "S.o.A" initialism on the backs of other works.

Series of Adelaide Views 1 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

67 6/07/2021 10:27:58 AM


St. John's Church, East Terrace | NLA NK2038/25

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/25St. John's Church, East Terrace | National Library of Australia NK2038/25 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1844~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

St. John's Church (acre 581) Halifax-street near East Terrace looking south-east with the hills in the background. St. John's was opened for public worship with a service on Sunday 24 October 1841. For some reason - possibly aesthetic - Gill has shown five, not six, side windows in all his pictures of St John's.

Series of Adelaide Views 7 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

71


Front, Methodist Chapel, Gawler Place | NLA NK2038/08

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/08Front, Methodist Chapel, Gawler Place | National Library of Australia NK2038/08 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1840~/1841~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The newly built Wesleyan (Methodist) Chapel opened in July 1839 in (acre 106) Gawler Place (which then ran only between Rundle and Grenfell Streets).

An engraving from December 1841 of this building (SLSA B 4500) shows it surrounded by a neat iron fence and, if that is an accurate portrayal, suggests Gill's scene is earlier. Gill advertised his artist's rooms in Gawler Place in March 1840 so this could be one of his earliest colonial works.

Series of Adelaide Views 11 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

54 6/07/2021 10:46:37 AM


Court House, South Australia | NLA NK2038/22

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/22Court House, South Australia | National Library of Australia NK2038/22 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1844~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

These are the buildings (acre 176) modified in 1843 for use as courts and incorporating the Queen's Theatre. They were used from about September 1843 to 1850 after which the courts moved to Victoria Square. It's unclear whether this view is from the north in Gilles' Arcade or from the south on Waymouth Street.

Series of Adelaide Views 14 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

68


Gaol, one view, side next the Torrens | NLA NK2038/04

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/04Gaol, one view, side next the Torrens | National Library of Australia NK2038/04 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1841~/1844~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is a view of the gaol looking to the southwest from the river. The two towers at left are on the east wall. Behind is the Gaol Governor's house. The gaol was progressively built and occupied from late 1840. The original designated "Aborigines Location" was here and was relocated across the river when the gaol was built.

Series of Adelaide Views 15 (from reverse inscription).

Gill labels this "one view" and NLA NK2038/05 "two views".

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

50 6/07/2021 10:48:15 AM


Adelaide Gaol (Park Lands) facing South. (Guards marching to relief, not militarily correct) | NLA NK2038/05

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/05Adelaide gaol, park lands facing south, guards marching to relief, not militarily correct | National Library of Australia NK2038/05 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is a view of the gaol looking to the north from the end of the track that ran from North Terrace near Morphett Street. The title is confusing - it's the gaol that faces south. The gaol was completed in 1841, as was the deep ditch at right which ran to the river and drained the marshy ground. At left is the Gaol Governor's house. The two towers (right) are on the east wall. Unlike other gaol drawings, there is no leftover stonework in the foreground. Soldiers march to relieve guards at the gaol. The first military detachment - the 96th Regiment - arrived in September 1841.

The note about the guards' marching shows Gill's military awareness. His note about correctness could refer to their guns being carried over their right shoulder. Contrast the left shoulder slope arms in Gill's NLA R374 and Nixon's NLA NK232.

Series of Adelaide Views 16 (from reverse inscription).

Gill labels NLA NK2038/04 "one view" and this "two views".

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

51 12/10/2021 8:04:41 AM


Government House, front view facing east [...] | NLA NK2038/23

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/23Government House, front view facing east [...] | National Library of Australia NK2038/23 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

Government House is on the Park Land above North Terrace and to the east of King William Street. Here it is viewed from the south-east from within the grounds. This is the same view as AGSA 0.34.

Series of Adelaide Views 19 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

69 6/07/2021 10:28:09 AM


N. Terrace, General Post Office, King Wm. [i.e. William] St. Adelaide, residence of Capt. Watts of Co. Kildare | NLA NK2038/18

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/18N. Terrace, General Post Office, King Wm. [i.e. William] St. Adelaide, residence of Capt. Watts of Co. Kildare | National Library of Australia NK2038/18 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is the General Post Office (acre 17) on the corner of King William Street (leading away to the right) and North Terrace (to the left). It was also the residence of Captain John Watts, Postmaster-General. The Post Office is also prominent in "North Terrace looking south-east" (AGSA 0.939). Gill shows all sorts of citizens visiting the Post Office: a man from "the bush", a top hatted gentleman, a bonnetted woman and an Aboriginal person.

Series of Adelaide Views 26 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

64 6/07/2021 10:28:14 AM


Government Offices facing south, old Barracks background | NLA NK2038/13

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/13Government offices facing south, old [...] background | National Library of Australia NK2038/13 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is a view of the Government Offices (acre 236) from across Flinders Street. At left is a street sign on the corner where King William Street leads (away) to the north. Background (right) has the old military barracks on Grenfell Street (acre 106). This picture shares all these features in common with the 1841/1842 H.C. Jervis print and the 1845 Nixon lithograph - the latter drawings differ by showing more of King William Street and the government flagstaff at the end.

In the 1842 Kingston map, the Public Offices include the Colonial Secretary's Office, Treasury, Assistant Commissar's Office, Surveyor General's Office, Registrar's Office, Auditor Generals Office, Judge's Office and the Bankrupt Court.

The caption reads "Government Offices [facing?] south [over north?], old [Bks?] background". The artist faces north and the building faces south, so this may explain Gill's correction. So the likely intended caption is: "Government Offices facing south, old Bks [Barracks] background". The regiment moved from the "old" barracks in Grenfell Street (acre 106) to Flinders Street (acre 234) in October 1842.

Series of Adelaide Views 27 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

59 6/07/2021 10:28:20 AM


Government Office, side view from Barrack gate | NLA NK2038/28

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/28Government office, side view from Barrack gate | National Library of Australia NK2038/28 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The Government Offices at corner of King William Street and Flinders Street (acre 236) as viewed from the east from the gate of the Flinders Street miitary barracks (acre 234). In the foreground the land between (acre 235) is vacant but well utilised.

Series of Adelaide Views 28 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

74 20/09/2021 3:52:29 PM


Catholic Chapel | NLA NK2038/24

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/24Catholic Chapel | National Library of Australia NK2038/24 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845-10~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is the Catholic Chapel (acre 320) on the north corner of Grote Street and West Terrace. Services commenced in "The New Catholic School House and Temporary Chapel" on 5 October 1845.

Series of Adelaide Views 29 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

70


Capt. Frome's & Engineer Barracks | NLA NK2038/01

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/01Capt. Fromes & Engineers Barracks | National Library of Australia NK2038/01 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1844~/1845-07~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

Captain E.C. Frome (1802-1890) commanded a detachment of Royal Engineers ("Sappers and Miners") that arrived in Adelaide in September 1839. They had barracks above North Terrace (north of acre 21) and on the east side of the Government domain.

There is a two-storey building in the background which is likely Government House. At right of picture is an open four-wheel carriage and pair - likely intended by Gill to be the Governor.

The Sappers and Miners moved to the old Aborigines Location in North Adelaide behind Matthew Moorhouse's residence (acre 750) in July 1845 and the barracks became the Native School, so this work is likely to date before then.

Series of Adelaide Views 30 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

47


Mounted Police Barracks | NLA NK2038/06

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/06Mounted Police Barracks | National Library of Australia NK2038/06 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The (Mounted) Police barracks was above North Terrace (north of acre 22 and acre 23) and just to the east of the Sappers and Miners barracks. The barracks entrance is likely on the side facing North Terrace which would make this a view to the north.

Series of Adelaide Views 31 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

52 20/09/2021 3:52:16 PM


Foot Police Station House | NLA NK2038/02

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/02Foot police station house | National Library of Australia NK2038/02 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The foot police station house was on the north side of North Terrace. The sign reads "Police Office". This building also appears in AGSA 0.648.

Dogs needed to be licensed from 1845 and it was to this Police Station House that citizens had to apply. The street dog is 1845 irony.

Series of Adelaide Views 32 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

48


Captain Butler's, South Adelaide | NLA NK2038/09

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/09Captain Butler's new house, South Adelaide | National Library of Australia NK2038/09 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1841~/1846-05~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is Captain Buter's house (acre 31) from the corner of North Terrace (in picture from bottom left to middle right) and East Terrace (perhaps glimpsed at left).

Captain Gerald Villiers Butler (c.1801-1854) arrived in Adelaide in October 1841 in command of a 96th Regiment detachment. He arrived with his wife and four children. Butler departed with the 96th in May 1846 and left the army to take up government appointments in South Australia until 1853 and then later in Victoria.

The 1842 Kingston map has Captain Butler on the corner of North Terrace and East Terrace (acre 31).

In this picture the open four-wheel carriage and pair belongs to the Governor. The reverse caption reads "Captain Butler's, South Adelaide" with "new house" added as an afterthought above - the sense probably being that it was built for Butler after his arrival.

An August 1844 advertisement alludes to Butler living in North Adelaide and his residence is there in the 1845 almanack. This suggests this picture dates before August 1844.

Series of Adelaide Views 33 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

55 5/07/2021 11:30:29 AM


Colonial Hospital | NLA NK2038/17

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/17Colonial hospital | National Library of Australia NK2038/17 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1841~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The then "new" Adelaide hospital was built about ENE from the corner of North Terrace and East Terrace. It commenced operation in February 1841.

Interestingly Dr. A.C. Kelly, who was also an amateur artist, worked at the hospital from May 1841. Kelly left in February 1846 to visit Scotland, taking some Gill pictures, before returning in October 1847.

Series of Adelaide Views 34 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

63 20/09/2021 3:44:30 PM


Company's buildings, Tavistock Street corner | NLA NK2038/19

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/19Company's buildings, Tavistock Street corner | National Library of Australia NK2038/19 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1841~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The Tavistock Buildings (acre 35) front onto Rundle Street (leading away from the viewer) and are on the corner of Tavistock Street (modern Frome Street) (heading to left of picture). They were erected in 1840 by James Frew, & Co. and are marked on the 1842 Kingston map. They are not to be confused with the SA Company's buildings (acre 44) which are almost always hightened with white by Gill.

Series of Adelaide Views 36 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

65 5/07/2021 11:30:50 AM


Company buildings, Rundle Street | NLA NK2038/20

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/20Company buildings, Rundle Street | National Library of Australia NK2038/20 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1842~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

These are the South Australian Company (SAC) buldings on acre 44 on the corner of Rundle Street (north side) and Stephens Place (west side) - erected in 1841. The 1842 Kingston map identifies them as "South Australian Co's, Commercial Offices". When painting these buildings Gill almost always hightens them with white allowing them to stand out even when in the background. On the corner is the Auction Mart run variously by John Bentham Neales, Emanuel Solomon or Messrs Lambert.

Series of Adelaide Views 37 (from reverse inscription).

Reverse has EJ monogram.

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

66 5/07/2021 11:30:56 AM


The Youngs' cottage, old one, Pulteney Street | NLA NK2038/03

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/03The Youngs' cottage, old one, Pulteney Street | National Library of Australia NK2038/03 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1841~/1844~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The painting's subject is uncertain, but is likely the house of James Young of the Royal Sappers and Miners - later draughtsman in the Survey Office. E.L. Montefiore painted (probably) the same house in NLA NK2038/32.

Series of Adelaide Views 38 (from reverse inscription).

The Youngs are mentioned in connection with two other pictures.

Gill's NLA NK2038/32 has a reverse inscription: "Mrs Ch(arles?) (Amis?) | Mrs James Young | Ivy Cottage | Pulteney St." And this could be the same house in both pictures.

J.N. Magill's 1843 NLA NK2037/A includes a reverse inscription: "From the side next to Mrs. Young's house while I stood in a field adjoining the premises outside the wall". However further research has not determined where in Pulteney Street that house was located.

These other pictures can also be viewed on the map "S. T. Gill - Adelaide".

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

49 30/09/2021 2:13:32 PM


Custom House Wharf, Capt Lipson's R.N., east view, Collector's Office, R. Torrens esqr. | NLA NK2038/07

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/07Custom House Wharf, Capt Lipson's R.N., east view, Collector's Office, R. Torrens esqr. | National Library of Australia NK2038/07 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The Customs House in the Government Reserve at Port Adelaide. At right is Queen's Wharf and the "canal" (foreground). This short canal ran off the Port River in the line of Commercial Road.

Series of Adelaide Views 46 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Port Adelaide

53 6/07/2021 10:28:35 AM


Magistrates Court, old house, Currie St. | NLA NK2038/26

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/26Magistrates Court, old house, Currie St. | National Library of Australia NK2038/26 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1843-03~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This building in Currie Street (acre 110) was once the house of Captain Thomas Lipson, Harbour-Master, who leased it to the Government as the Resident Magistrate's Court House from about 1841 to February 1843.

Series of Adelaide Views 47 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

72 5/07/2021 11:31:07 AM


Miss Bathgate's family boarding house, Rundle & Pulteney Streets, south Adelaide east | NLA NK2038/15

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/15Miss Bathgate's family boarding house, Rundle & Pulteney Streets, south Adelaide east | National Library of Australia NK2038/15 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

Miss Bathgate's boarding house was on the corner (Acre 87) of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street. A street sign stands on the corner out the front.

The Misses Bathgate – Jane and Margaret – arrived in South Australia in January 1839 and had built and ran, from at least February 1840, this well-known boarding house. It had a reputation for servicing a wealthier clientele. Margaret died on 20 May 1840 and the establishment continued to be run by Miss Jane Bathgate until it became John Hornabrook's "York Hotel" in 1849.

Series of Adelaide Views 50 (from reverse inscription). "Boarding House | Miss Bathgates | from Mr Maturins corner".

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

61 30/09/2021 2:14:14 PM


(Former) "Register Office", now the chief mert. [i.e. merchant] tailor, King William & Rundle St., Adelaide | NLA NK2038/11

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/11Former Register Office, now the chief mert. [i.e. merchant] tailor, King William & Rundle St., Adelaide | National Library of Australia NK2038/11 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845-09/1845-10~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This building on the northeast corner of King William Street and Rundle Street (acre 46) was the office of James Allen's "South Australian Register" newspaper. (The corner later became known as the Beehive.) Allen offered the business and premises for sale in May 1845. The business was bought the following month by John Stephens of the "Adelaide Observer" and in July Stephens moved the Register office to Hindley Street almost diagonally opposite this site. The corner was taken in September and October by A. Collins, clothes retailer (merchant tailor) and this work probably dates from then. George White, tailor, remained next door to the corner.

Series of Adelaide Views 51 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

57 6/07/2021 10:28:49 AM


House at the Cemetery | NLA NK2038/16

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/16House at the cemetery | National Library of Australia NK2038/16 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1844-06/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The sign at front reads "Public Cemetry" in the problematic spelling of either Gill or the sign writer. Inscribed on the reverse "House at the cemetery". This is the "three-roomed cottage for the sexton" constructed by the trustees of the Public Cemetery at West Terrace. It was the house of John Monck, who was clerk at Trinity Church, sexton and cemetery caretaker / keeper. Coronial inquests were sometimes held there. In the picture a man leans over the post and rail fence looking towards the cemetery. This helps date this picture because in May 1844 the Government tendered for post and rail fencing for the cemetery to replace the former mound and ditch.

The building is on West Terrace near the end of Wright Street.

Series of Adelaide Views 53 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

62


Matthw [i.e. Matthew] Moorhouse's, Aboriginal Protector's residence, North Adelaide | NLA NK2038/10

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/10Matthw [i.e. Matthew] Moorhouse's, Aboriginal Protector's residence, North Adelaide | National Library of Australia NK2038/10 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1844~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The 1842 Kingston map of Adelaide shows "M. Moorehouse Esq'r. Protector of Aborigines" in acre 750 (Jeffcott Street) North Adelaide near the then "Aborigines Location". The buildings in the left background are likely part of the "Aborigines Location". The "Aborigines Location" was moved here from its previous site around 1840-41 when the gaol was being built.

Matthew Moorhouse bought acre 750's "public house" and adjoining cottages from Giles Abbott, jun. and took possession around September 1839 (South Australian Record and Australasian Chronicle, 4 April 1840: 6 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article245655957>).

Series of Adelaide Views 56 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

56 5/07/2021 11:30:35 AM


Aboriginal Location, new one, west view | NLA NK2038/29

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/29Aboriginal location, new one, west view | National Library of Australia NK2038/29 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1845-07~/1846-06~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

The new "Aborigines Location" was established around July 1845 with the building of a school room and chapel at the (former) Sappers and Miners Barracks (above North Terrace to the east of Government House and north of acre 21).

The Sappers and Miners moved to the old Aborigines Location in North Adelaide behind Matthew Moorhouse's residence (acre 750).

"There is a school for the natives on the Park lands. At this school there were in 1847, thirty-five boys and twenty-nine girls. The establishment being entirely under the superintendence of the Government, is kept in the very best order; the apartments are neat and clean ..." (Sturt's Narrative, 198-199).

Series of Adelaide Views 58 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

75 30/06/2021 9:49:26 AM


Mill at North Adelaide on the Torrens | NLA NK2038/27

Thumbnail image for NLA NK2038/27Mill at North Adelaide on the Torrens | National Library of Australia NK2038/27 
Artist: Gill, S.T. | Date: 1842-07~/1844-09~ | Appleyard cat. n/a
Catalogue: S.T. Gill's Series of Adelaide Views

This is the South Australian Company's steam flour mill on the River Torrens. The mill was completed around July 1842 on SA Company land (acre 256) growing wheat. It was let by SAC to John Ridley who also had a steam flour mill at Hindmarsh. Although reasonably described at the time as in "North Adelaide", the mill was on the south bank of the river. At background left is a residence - possibly Park Cottage - which predated the mill - and was near the location for several baptisms including by Samuel Gill senior in 1841.

SAC commenced building a bridge here in October 1844 and although the absence of a bridge in this picture does not imply its non-existence, it suggests that possibility, especially in the light of F.R. Nixon's March 1845 picture of the mill and bridge.

The buildings are of fine appearance and considerable extent. The main building is three stories high, and about 40 feet by 30 feet, the engine house is 21 feet by 48 feet; the chimney is 70 feet high and two feet in diameter inside. There are four pairs of stones, three of which are kept in work, and the power is found sufficient to drive these stones and the dressing machine, and possibly the smut machine at the same time ... (Southern Australian, 14 April 1843: 2. <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71616646>)

Series of Adelaide Views 60 (from reverse inscription).

Map | S. T. Gill - Adelaide

73



David Coombe, June 2021 | Updated 12 October 2021 | text copyright (except where indicated)

CITE THIS: David Coombe, 2021, S.T. Gill's Series_of_Adelaide_Views, accessed dd mmm yyyy, <http://coombe.id.au/S_T_Gill/S_T_Gill's_Series_of_Adelaide_Views.htm>